POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Trying to write new HF_ macros, how to cut the mesh? : Re: Trying to write new HF_ macros, how to cut the mesh? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:19:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trying to write new HF_ macros, how to cut the mesh?
From: normdoering
Date: 10 Nov 2002 01:10:03
Message: <web.3dcdf5256f496618178f7f9c0@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:

>.... looks like the height field macros were rewritten to use
> a rectangular patch of triangles, and it would take some big
> changes to handle other geometries. My original version wrote
> the triangles more directly,...

I may have a copy already, I've downloaded more stuff from these newsgroups
than I recall, but I think I want to see your method. I don't want the
triangles in rectangular patches.

> ... which would have made this modification easier, but my version
> didn't output in mesh2 format.

That'a okay. Outputting different formats isn't that big a deal. You just
need a understanding of the format.

>... Looks like the tetrahedron subdivision spherical height field is
> gone too...

The what? I never saw any early versions (yet) so I don't know what you're
talking about. I only found out the HF_ macros existed a day or so ago when
you guys told me they were there.

> I liked that one, it didn't have the pinching problems at the poles,
> and spread out the triangles better. Someone else gave some code that
> might be easier to modify than the height field macros.

I may have this, but I'll have to check on what I downloaded tonight. If
not, I'll be looking for them.

normdoering